6 Engineer Squadron has a long and proud history in the Canadian Military and on the North Shore. The Unit was formed in 1911 and has occupied its current location at Forbes Armoury since 1915.
During the First World War 6 Field Company as it was known then, trained thousands of Men to fight in France.
During the Second World War 6 Field Company deployed to Europe, and was the Engineer Unit chosen to land on D -Day in Normandy and fought on through Holland and into Germany.
6 Field Company was renamed 6 Field Squadron after the Second World War, and then in 2008 when all BC Engineer Units were placed under one command, re-named 6 Engineer Squadron as part of 39 Combat Engineer Regiment.
Members of 6ES deployed more recently to Afghanistan.
As a Unit 39 CER perpetuates the history of the Royal Engineers in the Province who led by Col Richard Moody in the latter part of the 19th Century, laid the foundations for the Province of British Columbia, choosing the capital at New Westminster, and a camp at “Sapperton” there, and building roads and other improvements.
39CER is comprised of 6 Engineer Squadron in North Vancouver, and also 54 Engineer Squadron in Chilliwack, and 44 Engineer Squadron in centred in Trail, with a detachment in Cranbrook. There are Engineers from the Regiment who parade attached to other units at various times as well.
Regimental HQ is in Chilliwack. Members of the Regiment are welcome in Messes attached to each Armoury, and that hospitality extends to Associates and Guests.
39CER is the home of the Royal Canadian Engineers who parade in British Columbia, and those who have served with the Corps or Branch as well and are living here today.
Here is the Wiki Page
Here is the Official Page
Here is the CMEA Site Featuring D-Day Sappers
Here is the Wiki for the “Columbia” Detachment
Here is an interesting website run by those who like RCE history in BC
Here is a scholarly article on the older history of the RE in BC